Tuesday, June 12, 2018

My Experience with Distance Learning


          In the past, distance learning, or online courses, were viewed as less creditable and less effective than traditional courses (Simonson, Smaldino, & Zvacek, 2015). Also, online courses were said to be taught by only adjunct professors not regular faculty which added to the idea they were of less quality (Simonson, Smaldino, & Zvacek, 2015). Online courses are defined as courses where most of the content is delivered via the internet or through some form of computer-based technology. The conversation about distance learning is changing. In the past the public referred to campus education and distance learning as separate things (Traxler, 2018). This distinction was the reason there was little confidence in distance learning. When I decided to return to school and advance my degree, I questioned the quality of online courses. As an educator I wondered how could I get the same level of education? I quickly changed my mind.
Now after the completion of one degree and currently working on a second, I have taken all my classes completely online or hybrid (online and face-to-face). Dan Coldeway’s framework of the four ways education can be conducted gives hybrid classes the definition of same time different place (Simonson, Smaldino, & Zvacek, 2015). Like in all aspects of life there are positives and negatives. The same can be said for distance learning. The positives that I experienced far outweigh the negatives. Most of my online classes were very positive experiences; great organization, easy to follow with consistent and clear communication to instructors and classmates. A few barriers in distance learning is time commitment, fear of technology, and lack of communication (Simonson, Smaldino, & Zvacek, 2015). The online classes I have taken worked very hard to diminish those barriers.   
A negative experience I encountered was being unfamiliar with the learning management system (LMS) that was being utilized for the course. This was a personal barrier for me being an older student returning to school after many years away. In this particular class the instructor was using a platform I had never used. There were multiple places for assignments and instructions to reside. The path of the course was unclear at times and frustrating to me as an online learner. I felt like this course could have been more successful with an introduction to the LMS for students who were new to the platform. Another solution I would suggest for making this particular class more effective would be to stay consistent on where the assignments, instruction, due dates, and assignment submissions are located. Having to check multiple places and turn assignments in to multiple places made it a challenge to keep up and not miss a crucial assignment.  
The future of distance learning seems to be unlimited. Distance learning is allowing people from all communities opportunities they did not have before (Traxler, 2018). Distance learning is not limited to higher education. The growth in K-12 initiatives across the nation is involving all age groups of students in distance learning or virtual school (Simonson, Smaldino, & Zvacek, 2015). This movement puts online education in the hands of students from K-12. These students are able to go to school from the comfort of their homes and learn every subject available in a traditional school. With the addition of K-12 to the already booming, higher education distance learning, anyone can study almost anything from anywhere.








Overview and History of Distance Learning [Online Image]. (2018). Retrieved from
Simonson, M. R., Smaldino, S. E., & Zvacek, S. (2015). Teaching and learning at a distance:
            Foundations of distance education. Charlotte, NC: IAP, Information Age Publishing.
Successful Online Learning. UI Distance and Online Education [video file], 20 Oct. 2016, www.youtube.com.
Traxler, J. (2018). Distance Learning—Predictions and Possibilities. Education Sciences,8(1),
            35. doi:10.3390/educsci8010035

4 comments:

  1. Tracy,

    As I began my journey of online programs, I knew I would have to be diciplined but was surprised by the time committment involved in online programs. I completed my first online program in 2009, where I learned very quickly that online education takes time, dedication, and self-dicipline. One of the best practices for distance education found in "Teaching and Learning at a Distance: Foundations of Distance Education" is "Course quality is critical--quality is strongly related to student satisfaction" (Simonson, Smaldino, & Zvacek, 2015, p.72). It is obvious that the quality of the course you were dissatified with was lacking, and the instructor needed addtional training on setting up the online class on the LMS. Luckily, you were not as discouraged as many and stuck it out. Your example supports Simonson, Smaldino, and Zvacek's (2015) statement "Technical support for students and instructors is critical" (p.72)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Zvacek, S. (2015). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.

      Delete
  2. I also had to learn quickly how to navigate an LMS. In particular, Canvas that we are utilizing currently. All of the courses that I had taken in both my undergrad and my masters programs used Blackboard. Thankfully, the are both pretty similar! Course organization is certainly key to having an enjoyable distance education experience! As you stated, it can be very frustrating when content is located in numerous areas. I also agree (and Amanda addressed this in her blog also), that communication is very important to success in a distance education course. For that reason, as you pointed out, it can also be a barrier to a positive experience. Frequent and high quality communication (interaction) is "key to effectiveness in distance education" (Simonson, Smaldino, and Zvacek, 2015, p. 73).

    Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., & Zvacek, S. M. (2015). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education. Charlotte, North Carolina: IAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, I had a shared experience when I began investigating an online program to pursue further education. I also worried about the quality of instruction and instructors. The hesitation I experienced really displays how powerful perception is; since I have started the program, my experience has resembles yours, serving as a counterexample to prevalent expectations. I also agree that the barriers to effective distance education that Simsonson, Smaldino, and Zvacek (2015) address in the text are purposefully diminished in our program. The University of Montevallo does an excellent job communicating expectations.


    Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., & Zvacek, S. M. (2015). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education. Charlotte, North Carolina: IAP.

    ReplyDelete

Observer-Participant-Leader Record of Activities Based on the CETL Framework

One of my final projects for my Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) degree was to complete an Observer-Participant-Leader (OPL) reco...