Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Audio and Video Presentations

Audio and video text are useful tools in education. Students can create audio and video presentations to illustrate ideas. Video creation tools are common with students just as word processing tools were in the past. Students have so many options to create digital videos from programs that come installed with computers to the wide variety of online tools available. When creating audio and video text the creator must answer many questions. The MAPS heuristic will help the creator determine the why and how to create their text (Hicks, 2013) Mode or genre, media, audience, purpose, and situation make up MAPS (Turner, Hicks, 2017). An author must consider multiple things before creating any type of text.

Students in 21st-century classrooms have so many options for presenting themselves. Teachers can give student assignments based on audio and video text writing. Students can give video presentations on book reports, projects, or just introductions. They can use audio text to add information to existing lessons. Teachers can use tools like Screencastify to instruct students. By taking a prepared lesson, a teacher can use this tool to actually teach the lesson while recording the entire lesson. This can be used for students who need extra help or may have missed the lesson. Nearpod is another great audio and video tool for teachers. They can use the sample lessons with audio or create their own to teach students or give students additional help on a topic or lesson.

During the creation of my original introduction video, I wanted to give my peers information about me. I included personal information as well as professional. I used a basic video with no additional effects. This video’s purpose was to generally introduce myself to others in my same professional circle. I did not consider any other forms of media. The process of remaking my introduction video was different. I looked at different media types, I considered my audience, and evaluated my purpose. After choosing my audience of parents and students, I decided to use an informal media tool. If my audience had been more professional I would have used a more formal media tool. Because I would be presenting this to my students and their parents, I decided a fun and engaging video was the best choice.


Powtoon is a great video tool for many modes, audiences, and purposes. This tool has various options for video types. I chose to create an animated video. I used transitions and timing to keep the viewer interested. The music in the background adds to the content and keeps the viewer engaged. I chose simple effects to keep with an informal format.


Troy, H. (2013). Crafting digital writing: composing texts across media and genres. Portsmouth,   
            NH: Heinemann.

Turner, K. H., & Hicks, T. (2017). Argument in the real world: teaching adolescents to read and write
           digital texts. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

3 comments:

  1. Tracy, thank you for the additional information. I am adding a great deal of informational technology that can be used in the class. Our students are fortunate that they have these endless opportunities to be creative in their writing and video presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy, Wow! Your video was amazing! I am going to have to use Powtoon. You addressed a lot of the essential elements in crafting a video text that Hicks (2013) mentioned with your new introductory video submission. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, I love how you considered your audience; your video is appropriate. Your use of music and transitions keeps the viewer interested and motivated to continue reading the text. This would be a great app for elementary students to use. Have you used this app with students at your school? If so, how did it go and what did your students do.

    ReplyDelete

Observer-Participant-Leader Record of Activities Based on the CETL Framework

One of my final projects for my Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) degree was to complete an Observer-Participant-Leader (OPL) reco...